The CNC Router
Everything You Need to Know
Welcome to CNCRouterSource.com
The #1 CNC router information resource.
Let this website help you buy, build or simply learn the "ins and outs" of this amazing machine!
The popularity of the CNC router is rapidly increasing, from hobbyist to large and small businesses alike. People are always finding new ways to utilize these amazing machines.
Looking to Buy?
Maybe you have already decided to make the investment and purchase a CNC router for personal or business use, but would like to know how to select the right broduct for your needs. Many questions arise when shopping for a CNC router.
What size do I need? What features should I get? How much should I expect to pay
There are literally hundreds of models and features available. Each machine is designed to operate in certain conditions and perform certain tasks.
So you may be asking yourself, “Where do I start?”
This is where our Buyer's Guide will help you. It will coach you through every step of buying a CNC router. It will cover everything from identifying the right router for your application to discussing pricing and optional features.
Looking to Build Your Own?
Building a CNC router can be a rewarding experience. It can save you a lot of money and allows you the option of designing and building a machine to fit your need specifically. Not to mention its a lot of fun is a very rewarding and a great learning experience.
At this point you may have some idea of your design and how you want to build it. Or maybe you have no idea and are still gathering parts. Either way, you have come to the right place.
No matter what stage of your project you are in, take a look at our Builder's Guide. NO it is not one of those blue prints you can buy that shows you how to build that specific design. In the Builder’s Guide
you’ll find things like:
A complete a breakdown of all the parts you’ll need and their function.
Frame design and materials selection
Money saving Tips
It will look at every part of these machines down to the wire, literally. The guide outlines the do’s and don’t and explains some common design flaws in many homemade versions.
Need General Information?
So maybe you don’t want to buy or build a CNC machine. You may just be looking for some general information on these machines. Well, you’re still at the right place. Here you will find everything from the breakdown of all the types of CNC machines down to their individual parts and how they work, to the software and electronics needed to make them operate.
Routers are amazing machines and we want to offer as much information about these machines as possible. So thank you for visiting our site and please bear with us as we update and populate this website daily.
If you do not find the information you were looking for, please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments. We will respond as soon as possible.
Table of Contents
- CNC Router Engineering: Free COnsultation on your CNC machine design
- CNC Router Engineering: We'll personally help you throughout the process of your CNC router project.
- CNC routers Buyer's guide. What you must know before buying.
- Buying CNC Routers, where to start? This buyers guide will walk you though all the steps of buying a machine to fit your needs
- CNC Router systems, The Basics for in depth information go...
- The basics of CNC Router systems. For in-depth information look at the ....
- Homemade CNC Router The Builder's Guide (FREE!)
- The Homemade CNC router guide. Want to build a hobby CNC router? This free guide...
- CNC Linear motion: Everything you need to know
- The linear motion system plays a vital role in any linear CNC machine, and CNC routers are no exception...
- CNC Motors
- A detailed overview of CNC motors: Steppers and Servos
- CNC Drive Components: Stepper Motors, Servo Motors, Leadscrews Etc.
- CNC drive components give a CNC machine the cutting and moving force needed. From stepper and servo to leadscrews ...
- The CNC Router Table Top, Where the dust happens
- The CNC router table top is where the tool meets the piece. Also known at the cutting table the...
- The CNC Router Spindle
- The Router Spindle provides the rotational force to to the cutting tool or bit. Without the correct type of spindle for your application, you could be...
- CNC Electronics: MPG's, Buttons, Switches, Controle Panel
- CNC Electronics are a vital part of any CNC machine...
- CNC Router Plans: Download free CNC router plans
- CNC router Plans are a great starting point for anyone wanting to build a CNC router
- CNC reviews: routers, parts, and services. We also have reviews on other CNC..
- Read CNC reviews on Routers, Parts, Mills, Services, and much more. The most c...
- CNC Router Blogs
- This Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the CNCRouterSource.com Web site. Build, Buy, or Learn about CNC routers. Subscribe here.
- CNC router Links: All links related to CNC routers and parts
- CNC router Links: New/Used CNC Routers, Homemade CNC routers, CNC Router Parts
- CNC CNC Router Videos: Watch all kinds of CNC routers in action
- CNC Router Videos: Watch all kinds of CNC routers in action
- The CNC wood Router: How does it work?
- How does the CNC wood Router work? Its not that difficult so lets get started on...
- CNC woodworking Machines: Types and Features Buy, Build, Learn
- CNC woodworking machine. There is a variety of machines that do CNC woodworking. Lets look at the many types and features.
- CNC Router Prices: A Look into what it costs to own a CNC router
- CNC ROuter Prices: Looks at the costs associated with different levels of CNC Routers
- Buying a CNC Router: Step 1
- Buying a CNC Router: The first step...
- The Hobby CNC Router: Builders Guide Step 1
- Want to design and build a hobby CNC router? The first step is to ...
- Build your own CNC router Step 2: The frame
- How to build your own CNC router. The frame and base
- Do it yourself CNC router: Design Considerations, the Gantry
- Do it yourself CNC router: Take a look at all aspects of designing and building your own CNC router
- Building a CNC Router Step 4: The Z-axis assembly
- Building a CNC Router: The builders guide Step 4
- CNC Motor Terminology
- CNC Motor terminology explained
- CNC Controller History
- The CNC Controller History : Past to Present
- The CNC controller components breackdown
- CNC Controller breackdown: CNC controller components work in unison to produce the desired motor function. In this section ...
- CNC Control: Command "Signals"
- CNC Control: How the CNC controller uses command signals to communicate...
- Breakout Boards: What are they?
- Breakout Boards: A desciption of breakoutboard function and...
- CNC breakout board: DB-25 and DB-9 pin assignment
- CNC Breakout Board: DB-25 and DB-9 pin assignment
- Exchange links with cncroutersource.com
- Exchange links with cncroutersource.com
- New CNC Router Links
- New CNC Router Links
- Open vs. Closed loop system
- The open and closed loop system describes the two types of CNC control systems
- Calculators and Charts
- Calculators: In this section you will find a grown source for unique calculators that will help you design and build your CNC machine.
- Lead Screw Efficiency
- The Following Applet will help you estimate the efficiency of a lead screw given the diameter and the lead.
- The ACME Lead Screw
- The ACME lead screw: Learn all about acme lead screws and some of the terminology associated with them.
- Why the Acme thread form is used for lead screws
- So, why exactly is the acme thread form used for lead screws and can any type of thread do the job?
- Total Lead Screw Accuracy Calculator
- Use this applet to help calculate the total deviation of linear position of a nut on a lead or ball screw given the lead, lead accuracy, and distance traveled.
- Acme Screws: The Lead Accuracy and Straightness
- Lead accuracy, tolerance, and straightness of acme screws are very important specifications when designing and building a CNC router around acme lead screws.
- ACME Lead Screw Efficiency and Life
- For the CNC router builder or buyer some of the utmost concerns with the ACME lead screw are efficiency and life.
- Back lash and Back Driving
- Back Lash and Back Driving are both concerns for the CNC router builder. The following section will cover both of these aspects.
- ACME Lead Screws and Associated Loads
- Acme Lead Screws: Load definitions. It is important to understand the proper way to load the lead screw when building a CNC router.
- Linear Force Calculator
- Calculate how much linear force a lead screw or ball screw can produce given the torque of a motor, the lead or ball screw efficiency, and pitch.
- Selecting a Leadscrew Part 1: The “Must Knows”.
- There are a few criteria for selecting a leadscrew that should never be overlooked.
- CNC Electronics links
- This section offers links in regards to CNC electronics.
- Reviews For New New CNC Router
- This section offers reviews on new CNC routers
- Used CNC Router Links
- Used CNC Router Links
- Lead screw forces
- It is important to understand the lead screw forces when selecting a screw assembly for a given application.
- Linear Drive Force Calculator
- Calculate the forces acting on a lead screw given friction, weight of assembly, desired acceleration, and external forces.
- Column Stregnth Calculator
- This applet will help you find the minimum diameter of a lead screw as it relates to compressive loads and column strength. Required inputs are lead screw span, load to be applied, and end fixity type.
- Lead Screws: Selection Process
- The task of selecting lead screws can often be confusing because the many variables involved.
- The ACME nut
- The ACME nut is the part that mates with an ACME lead screw. Selecting the right nut for your CNC router system is vital for proper machine function.
- Precision ACME Leadscrew Nut
- The Precision ACME Leadscrew nut is an essential component of a quality CNC router.
- ACME Nuts and Lead Screws: Design Considerations
- ACME Nuts and lead Screws: Important considerations when choosing lead screws for your CNC router machine.